- Kiwanis is a global
organization of volunteers
who are dedicated to changing the world one child and one community at a time.
The Kiwanis family of service clubs has about 600,000 members in nearly 100
50 Years of Service - The Kirtland Kiwanis Club was chartered in 1958.
Our first meeting was held at Kirtland High School.
There were about 35 original charter members, of which Jack Diehn, Tom G. Johnson and Jim Naughton are still active.
The first official meeting place for the club was the Kirtland Grange. Other locations for our meeting over the years have included the following:
The Brown Derby (Roadhouse), Bluey's (Dino's), The American Legion Hall, The L.D.S. Church, Key W. Kool's (The old LaVera Restaurant), and The Kirtland Public Library.
Our very first project as a club was to get a doctor for the Kirtland residents. Some of our early fundraisers included the sale of Chocolate Turtles and Fruitcakes, Cider, a Barbershop Quartet Festival, Tree Trimming, and 25 Men For a Day. More recent fundraisers have included our Lemonade Trailer, and tent, table and chair rentals. We have also originated the holiday lighting program and the sending of Christmas Cards for the residents of the Western Reserve Convalescent Home (presently the Golden Age Living Center).
Join - If you are interested in joining Kiwanis
and want to make a difference for the children of our community, please read
about membership and be our guest for dinner at a meeting.
Meetings - Prospective members and visiting Kiwanians are invited to join us for Dinner at our weekly meetings on Thursday Nights at 6:30 pm at The Kirtlander on Rte .306 in Kirtland Ohio.